skip to content

#23406 - Paynting Photo Album

Resource ID
O-221, Display cabinet 1
Paynting Photo Album
Paynting, Ernest
Object O-221, Paynting, Ernest
Physical description
36 Black & white photographs
Photo album of images taken by Ernest Paynting. Nine pages, each with four photos, including Parliament House and surrounds, the opening of Parliament House on 9 May 1927, views of Civic including the area around the Sydney Building and the Melbourne Building, Acton, Springbank, Molonglo River, St John's Church, the Amiens Gun (the Big Gun), Cotter Dam, Bert Hinkler's visit and the Reid Methodist Church
English-born Ernest Harry Jeffs Paynting arrived in Canberra around 1914 and worked as a steward at RMC. He married Elsie Tow at St John's Anglican Church in 1915 and served in WW1. Elsie died in 1920 and is buried in St John's churchyard. Ernest found work at Kaye's Springbank dairy where he met and later married Gladys Kaye, the daughter of Charles and Letitia Kaye, in 1929. After Springbank was resumed for the construction of Lake Burley Griffin, the Payntings moved to Cabramatta, near Sydney, where Ernest died in 1980.