skip to content

#19831 - Bindango homestead from the east

Resource ID
19831
Title/subtitle
Bindango homestead from the east
Author/Creator
Gruen, Ann
Picture
Bindango homestead from the east
Format
Photograph
Identifier
Bindango
Publisher
c1960
Physical description
Colour photograph
Summary
Bindango was originally known as Curley's Place and was the home of Tom curley and his family. After his death in 1929 the property passed to his son Charles Curley, who, in about 1934, contracted Tom O'Connor to build the house shown in the photograph. The property was bought by Sim Bennett of Kambah in the 1940s and he gave it to his manager Horace 'Snowy' Nellthorpe-Quibell as a retirement present.The property was known as Carinya when Fred and Ann Gruen acquired it in about 1960 and they renamed it as Bindango. they sold it to the Field family of Lanyon in 1963. The site of the Bindango Homestead is now occupied by the Trinity Christian School in McBryde Cres Wanniassa ACT
Location
Photograph 4649