skip to content

#15864 - Gungahlin Homestead

Resource ID
15864
Title/subtitle
Gungahlin Homestead
Picture
Gungahlin Homestead
Format
Photograph
Identifier
Gungahlin; Gungahleen; Goongarline; Crace
Publisher
[n.d.]
Physical description
Black & white photograph
Summary
Gungahlin Homestead - showing the driveway up to the front entrance of the Victorian wing built by Edward Kendall Crace in about 1883. The original Georgian homestead was built by the previous owner, William Davis, who also owned Palmerville.
Location
Photograph 2161
Availability
Not for loan. Copies available for purchase.
Notes
The Commonwealth resumed Gungahlin in 1915 but Everard Crace, son of Edward, leased the homestead block. The house was later leased by historian Dr. Frederick Watson. The CSIRO took over the property in 1953 and established a field research station. The CSIRO still occupies the homestead which is located in the area bounded by Bellenden Street, Gungahlin Drive and the Barton Highway.