skip to content

#15267 - Gungahlin Homestead

Resource ID
15267
Title/subtitle
Gungahlin Homestead
Picture
Gungahlin Homestead
Format
Photograph
Identifier
Gungahlin
Physical description
Black & white photograph. Size - 10cmx15cm
Summary
Gungahlin Homestead front entrance. The Victorian wing was built by Edward Kendall Crace in about 1883. The original Georgian homestead was built by the previous owner, William Davis, who also owned Palmerville.
Location
Photograph 1564
Availability
Not for loan. Copies available for purchase.
Notes
The Commonwealth resumed Gungahlin in 1915 and the house was leased by historian Dr. Frederick Watson. The CSIRO took over the property in 1953 and established a field research station. The CSIRO still occupies the homestead which is located in the area bounded by Bellenden Street, Gungahlin Drive and the Barton Highway.