skip to content

#13714 - Hotel Wellington during construction

Resource ID
13714
Title/subtitle
Hotel Wellington during construction
Picture
Hotel Wellington during construction
Format
Photograph
Identifier
Forrest
Publisher
[192?]
Physical description
1 black and white photograph; 8cm x 5cm
Summary
Hotel Wellington during construction 1926-27.
Location
Photograph 11
Availability
Not for loan; copy may be purchased
Notes
The Wello, on the corner of Canberra Avenue and National Circuit, was opened in 1927 in time for the opening of Parliament House. The hotel was demolished in 1984. A new hotel opened in 1988. It was called the Wellington because Canberra Avenue was then known as Wellington Avenue. Refer to Canberra's Early Hotels published by the CDHS. The new hotel has been known as the Pavillion and Rydges Capital Hill.